Hand Feeding Koi
In addition to the peace and tranquility of Pond Keeping, spending time with your Koi can be equally rewarding. Koi are very sociable and love a crowd of friends. They are less apt to be shy when they are in a large group.
Your Koi will eat from your hand, provided you have the patience to earn their trust and friendship. Here are a few helpful hints:
- Feed them in the same place every time.
- Drop a small handful of pellets and stay there to observe.
- The bravest or hungriest will start to eat and the rest will follow.
- They must see you when they eat.
- Don't walk away from the pond before they start to eat.
- Withhold food for a day if they won't eat in front of you.
Gradually, the Koi will equate you with food. This usually takes about 3 to 5 days. Tease them closer with small sprinklings of food. Put your hands in the water while they eat. The Koi will learn that food comes from your hand. Start with just a few pellets.
The bravest Koi will soon be nudging your hand. It is only a matter of time and all of your fish will swimming, jumping and splashing toward you every time you walk by the pond.